Forum Fertility

Wait or curettage?

14 replies

Ab91
Hi ladies,
I have a bit of a 'difficult' question. If you had to choose (or if you already had to make this choice in the past), would you opt to wait for a miscarriage to happen naturally or go for a D&C? And maybe explain why.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

  1. Anonymous Guest #2

    Hi,
    I’ve had to make that choice twice.
    The first time it was a miscarriage. I didn’t believe anymore that it would happen naturally. Medication wasn’t an option for me, I really didn’t feel like dealing with that. So I opted for a D&C.

    Second time around, I chose a D&C again. I had a lot of trouble with the hormones, throwing up and all.

    During this corona time, I think it’s probably a bit more difficult. I’d consider whether I’d have too much trouble with the hormones? Would I be able and willing to wait for a natural miscarriage? And if so, how long would that be? On the other hand, healthcare is still relatively okay right now. In 2 or 3 weeks, things could change and healthcare might completely collapse.

    Why do you ask?
  2. Ab91 started this #3

    Hey,

    Thanks for your reply.
    I had my first ultrasound last week at 10 weeks, but they only saw a fetus of 6 weeks without a heartbeat. Now I have a follow-up tomorrow to see if there's still any growth, but the chance is practically non-existent. The gynecologist already mentioned a possible D&C, but I'm not sure what the best option is.
    I'm not really keen on the pills myself. So I just wanted to check what other people's opinions are on this.
  3. Anonymous Guest #4

    I'd recommend a D&C. If the baby stopped developing at 6 weeks, you've already been 4 weeks along without having a miscarriage. I had the same thing happen the first time. I was supposed to be 9 weeks along, but it never got past 5-4 weeks and was empty. Eventually, I had to have it done at 11 weeks.
  4. Anonymous Guest #5

    Wishing you lots of strength and a big hug.
  5. Anne #6

    Do what feels right for you, but I wanted to share my own experience. I had a miscarriage in September 2018. I was 11.5 weeks pregnant, but the baby was only 9 to 9.5 weeks. I decided to go for the pills, and after about 3.5 hours, it was over. I was able to stay at home, no IV, no real medical intervention. And from what I understood then (what the OB-GYN told me), it's better if you want to get pregnant again right away. A D&C is apparently more invasive for your uterus itself. I also felt it was nice to experience everything consciously, but definitely do what feels right for you. If a D&C feels right for you, then that's good too. Wishing you lots of strength anyway.
  6. Joy #7

    I’ve had a really good experience with pills (Mk at 8 weeks). It went super smoothly and you can stay at home, in your own environment. I’d definitely go for that. The choice is yours
  7. Puck #8

    I faced the choice last year. I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, feeling that I needed to move on, and also because I’m a bit older and wanted time for another attempt.

    I was planning to have a D&C, but I chose the pills based on advice. That way, the risk of damage to the uterus was smaller, and you can get pregnant again right away. I was really dreading the pills, but it turned out to be a 100% stroke of luck. Unfortunately, I faced the same dilemma 3 months later and again got a quick effect with the pills. As far as you can be satisfied with it, I was.

    I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to take the pills. If you feel strongly about avoiding them, then go for a D&C. Do what feels right for you under the circumstances. Wishing you lots of strength.
  8. kirstnn #9

    I had a miscarriage and a spontaneous miscarriage. At the clinic, I chose a D&C because, just like you, I didn’t want those pills—purely because I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. I’d been dealing with it for weeks, and there was no progress anyway, so yeah. The D&C wasn’t too bad at all! But definitely do what feels right for you—that’s what matters most .
  9. Ab91 started this #10

    Hi ladies,
    Thanks for the replies. After discussing with the gynecologist, I’ve decided to go ahead with Cytotec after all.
    If we can avoid a hospital stay during the corona crisis, that’s definitely preferable.
    So tomorrow morning I’ll be taking the first dose. It’s quite stressful, though.
  10. Puck #11

    Lots of strength. I hope it doesn't turn out too bad for you.
  11. Anonymous Guest #12

    After a curettage, you can get pregnant again right away, you know.

    How are you doing?
  12. Ab91 started this #13

    Now in the waiting room to see if everything is clean.
    I fear not, but we'll see
  13. stéfanie #14

    I hope you've received confirmation by now. I myself opted for a D&C in July because I couldn't bring myself to take those pills. I was supposed to wait another week, but I couldn't handle carrying a baby that had already passed for over two weeks before the procedure at 13 weeks. After the D&C, I had very heavy bleeding for a month. But by the end of August, I was pregnant again. So I was very fertile then. I hope everything goes smoothly for you too and that you'll be able to get pregnant again soon with a healthy baby. I'm now 33 weeks pregnant, and believe me, I never would have dared to hope it would happen so quickly. I'm sharing this with you so you can draw a bit of "positive" courage from it.

    Lots of strength!!
    Love, Stefanie
  14. Ab91 started this #15

    Hey sorry, I've been away for a while. Took some time for ourselves.
    Gosh, the pills were quite intense! Had a lot of pain, but with good painkillers and a cherry-pit cushion it got a bit better. Especially the first day was really tough.
    Now waiting for my first period and then one more check-up.
    How did it go for you?

Add your reply

Share what helped you, or ask a question.

Sign in to join the conversation.

Continue with Google

Takes a moment. You’ll come straight back here to reply.