Forum The birth

2 C-sections and third one natural! Anyone has experience?

22 replies · page 1 of 2

bloemetje Guest ·
Has anyone here had experience with 2 C-sections and then a third natural birth?
I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant with my third, where the first two ended with a C-section. I'd really like to have a natural birth this time :-) .

Replies

Page 1 of 2

  1. Yvonne Guest #2

    Hi Bloemetje,
    What I understand is that the chance of that happening is very small. In principle, it could happen, but because your uterus is weaker, they just don't take the risk of it tearing during labor. That's why you often can't give birth naturally after the first C-section and especially after the second C-section.
  2. Cin #3

    I actually had a natural birth after the first C-section! It went perfectly..! I'm planning to have a natural birth again too..(at least unless something comes up, of course;-)
    Now I don't know how it is physically if you've had two..but this is really a personal matter regarding scar tissue etc. and how & what...
    What does your doctor or midwife say about this??
    I hope it works out for you! That would be nice :-)
  3. bloemetje started this #4

    My own OB-GYN says it's risky :-(
    But I've contacted another OB-GYN and he's open to it. He also said it's only possible to decide at the end if everything hopefully goes well. Next week I'm going for the first consultation, we'll see...
    Oh yeah, it's been 4 years since I had a C-section, the scar is thin and good now and barely visible compared to before :-)
  4. Anonymous Guest #5

    Ugh, I don't even know, it wasn't really discussed or looked into my scar at all then. By the way, I was pregnant with the second one within 10 months after the (emergency) c-section. But it was never really discussed... I got contractions at night and boom, I just gave birth normally (which isn't normal either, I think). Everything went well with the scar though, even though I screamed 3 times while pushing that my scar was pulling... and they said to let them know immediately if it stays or gets worse... luckily it didn't...
    But anyway, more things didn't go normally, which is why I don't want to give birth in this hospital anymore.
    It's tough when one person says it's too risky and the other is open to it...
    I have an appointment at the hospital where I now want to give birth soon, so I'll bring up this topic in the conversation anyway...
  5. Cin #6

    Oh, I wasn't logged in. The reply above was from me;-)
  6. bloemetje started this #7

    Yes, sweetie, you're right. I'm having mixed feelings right now (should I take the risk or not :-( ). I discussed it with my husband yesterday, and we've decided not to make a decision yet. I'll see how I feel towards the end, and if the doctor says it's okay and I have a good feeling about it, then sure... but if it's still risky, I'd rather not. My health and my baby's health are more important.
  7. bloemetje started this #8

    oooh yes, I'm just 9 weeks pregnant :-)
  8. Cin #9

    I personally think..if the OB-GYN advised me it wasn't wise, like with Boontje..I'd get anxious (yes, that's me again;-)
    I wouldn't dare take the risk either...
    Good luck with your choice later in the pregnancy!:-)
    By the way, my recovery from the emergency C-section was super, it went unimaginably fast and I could do all sorts of things again soon..After the natural birth, it took me longer to get back to normal :-P
    It's really great to experience though..so I totally understand your point of view if you'd like to have this!
  9. boontje004 #10

    I had my check-up with the OB/GYN today and also got a due date ultrasound. I also asked about the birth. She said we'll plan for 37 weeks. We'll see how big the baby is and how they're positioned. It also depends on when the contractions start.
    Our two boys were both 8 pounds and didn't descend during labor. I'm expecting another C-section, and if it's a vaginal birth, that would be a nice surprise.

    I'm now 9 weeks too, so we're on the same track!
  10. bloemetje started this #11

    Hey, that's nice :-) That's what the OB-GYN also told me, we'll see at the end. So I've got both in my head :-) Hey, nice that we're both in the same boat. We'll keep each other updated. I have a check-up next Wednesday, I'm curious :-)
  11. bloemetje started this #12

    tomorrow after the ultrasound: I'm super nervous :-)
    does anyone know if I can find out the gender yet?
  12. Cin #13

    You're about 10 weeks now, right? Judging by the first reply and today's date;-)
    That's still quite early to be able to see the gender... sometimes it's visible at 12 weeks already...
    Good luck! Enjoy it! It's lovely to see your little one..:-)
  13. Aradia #14

    10 weeks is indeed very early. Sometimes it can be seen at 12 weeks, but that's not always the case and you really need a good sonographer. Generally, you can hear the gender at 20 weeks.
  14. boontje004 #15

    Hi Bloempje,
    how was the ultrasound?
  15. boontje004 #16

    hi bloempje, how are you doing?
  16. mama3 #17

    I’ve also had two C-sections and am now pregnant with my third. I’m going to have another C-section this time. That’s already decided. I have to say, I don’t want to take the risk that something might go wrong during a normal birth! I just think, the most important thing is being able to hold your healthy baby in your arms. You do everything during pregnancy to let your baby grow as healthy as possible, and then you’d take a risk on the final stretch... No, not for me, but yes, everyone has to decide that for themselves, of course.
  17. natascha Guest #18

    Hi,
    I'm also expecting my third baby, and my first two were delivered by C-section. I was already told during my second pregnancy that the third one would always be a planned C-section, so...
  18. natascha Guest #19

    Hi,
    I'm also expecting my third baby, and my first two were delivered via C-section. I was already told during my second pregnancy that the third would always be a planned C-section, so...
  19. beertje2012 #20

    I'm following along because I'm facing the same dilemma.

    My first was a C-section, because she was in a sort of split position with one leg down and one up, and her head hadn't turned.

    But I should be able to give birth naturally now, although my OB-GYN gave me quite a few conditions. It can't be a breech position in any way. Preferably no face presentation, etc., and if labor doesn't progress smoothly, the chance of an emergency C-section is higher...

    So, in my opinion, it has to be a very smooth natural birth...

    Otherwise, you're doing all the work for nothing.

    Does anyone have experience with this? And how long can a second natural birth take after a first C-section?

Add your reply

Share what helped you, or ask a question.

Sign in to join the conversation.

Continue with Google

Takes a moment. You’ll come straight back here to reply.