Forum 1st trimester

Miscarriage

5 replies

ChrisGuest ·
Hi ladies,

I don't usually hang out on forums, but I really need some advice.
I went to the gynecologist in Colombia 2 weeks ago; I was 6 weeks pregnant then, confirmed by an internal ultrasound, and a heartbeat was clearly audible.
Now, yesterday I went to the midwife at 8 weeks pregnant. It had clearly grown, but on both ultrasounds, both external and internal, no heartbeat could be detected. So she said to wait for a miscarriage. Today I called and would actually prefer to have it removed via curettage. But now doubt is creeping in. Are there people who experienced the same thing and then suddenly had a heartbeat later? I don't know what to do anymore

Replies

  1. Iza #2

    Dear Chris,

    This must be so incredibly difficult for you. First the joy, and now this uncertainty.

    Coincidentally, there was a news article last week in which scientists indeed emphasized that a second ultrasound should be postponed a bit longer, because it’s possible that a heartbeat might still be visible then. Now, I don’t know if this also applies to pregnancies where a heartbeat was detected initially but later wasn’t. Personally, I would indeed wait on scheduling a D&C. First of all, it’s better for your body to let your miscarriage happen naturally and close out the pregnancy that way, and maybe in two weeks you’ll still see a heartbeat if the miscarriage doesn’t start. I want to wish you lots of strength with this difficult decision.
  2. Annemie #3

    I’d also just wait a bit longer for peace of mind, maybe an ultrasound next week?
    Not easy dealing with your situation!
  3. Chris started this #4

    Thank you for your response, Iza.
    There's a lot of uncertainty, indeed. Every time I go to the toilet, I feel that uncertainty, and all the symptoms that are still present, not knowing whether it's still alive or not. I also feel quite alone in this situation. It seems to be very normal, I'm only 27 and I still wonder if it's normal at my age. Maybe I should better just wait and hope that maybe, just maybe, everything will be okay after all. I'm waiting for the call from the GP for a referral and will ask once more if there's maybe still a tiny chance.
  4. Chris started this #5

    I already have an appointment with the midwife for an ultrasound next week. The midwife wants to check if there has been a miscarriage in the meantime or if everything has come out. Thanks, Annemie
  5. Liesseling #6

    Did they hear or see a heartbeat at the 6-week scan?

Add your reply

Share what helped you, or ask a question.

Sign in to join the conversation.

Continue with Google

Takes a moment. You’ll come straight back here to reply.