Forum Nice chat

Vlokkentest or amniocentesis?

11 replies

Bebe
Would you do a first-trimester screening or combined test if the combined test showed an increased risk?

I really don't know what I'm going to do yet. They offered me a combined test, but I'm only 29 and there's nothing else coming up.

I'm hesitating because the combined test isn't really that reliable, and I might end up doing a full test or amniocentesis for no reason.

I don't think I could hold back if there was an increased risk. What did you do?

Replies

  1. Wen #2

    Hi Bebe,

    I also qualified for amniocentesis and CVS due to my age.
    I decided to start by just doing the nuchal translucency scan and blood test (combined test) at 12 weeks.
    The results showed that the chances of abnormalities were minimal.
    So I decided to stop there. Knowing that there are no other abnormalities in my family either, I went on to enjoy my pregnancy with a clear conscience.

    If there had been a risk of abnormalities, you would have come back for a detailed ultrasound scan before having to make the decision: whether or not to have amniocentesis or CVS.

    I don't know what I would have done if the nuchal translucency scan hadn't been good. But that's also because I know some stories where these tests led to miscarriages.
    Positive test, baby lost... I don't even want to think about it!
  2. naomi Guest #3

    Hi,

    I now have three healthy kids, all nearly 4 years old. I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and had a CVS (chorionic villus sampling) done around 11 weeks, which was actually the earliest possible to detect certain conditions. I had it done because I once lost a baby due to a specific disorder. I've had a total of 4 CVS tests, and all results were good. I had the CVS done because I'm so scared and nervous in the first few weeks that I'll lose the baby, but I couldn't wait 40 weeks to know the results. I always stayed positive, but after getting the results, I can enjoy my pregnancy 200%. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to do this or not, but one thing: always stay positive!!!! And everything will be okay. Greetings and good luck,
    Naomi
  3. Karin #4

    Hello pregnant mamas, I'm 38 and pregnant with my 2nd baby, 13 weeks tomorrow. I already have an 8-year-old girl. Today I had a nuchal translucency scan done, it was positive, 1.67, and the blood test result shows a 1 in 155 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. I'm seriously struggling with whether to have a CVS or amniocentesis. The risk of miscarriage with CVS is 1 in 300, so it's small, but still... a chance... any advice??
  4. MaMaMia #5

    Hi Karin, that's quite a shock, isn't it? I can't really advise you on this. We consciously chose not to do the combined screening test because I wouldn't have opted for amniocentesis anyway.

    Still, I can totally understand why you might want to do it.

    I think you should just follow your gut feeling.

    Good luck!
  5. Mandy #6

    Hi!

    I'm 22, and we chose to have the combined screening done, even though we didn't have an increased risk due to age.
    But it's generally true that if the combined screening shows no increased risk, other tests like the nuchal translucency measurement or amniocentesis aren't necessary, and the combined screening itself won't harm your baby. Unlike the follow-up tests.

    Best,
    Mandy
  6. Lexy #7

    Hi Karin!
    That’s intense, right! You must have been startled... Are you starting to feel a bit better about it? We didn’t do any tests ourselves, so it’s hard for me to give you advice.

    Wishing you all the best and lots of strength as you make your decision!
  7. * #8

    Hello pregnant ladies, next week we're doing the combined test. I'm not dreading it at all. I'm staying positive for sure. I'm 39 years old and will turn 40 this year.

    I'm really curious, I've already had an extensive blood test and the results will also come next week. So next week will be a bit exciting, but we're looking forward to it with positivity.

    :-D greetings, Ju
  8. Leen Guest #9

    Hi everyone,

    I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant with our second baby, but I have to have the CVS test done next Tuesday. Our first son was born at 39 weeks and only lived for 7 days. He had a very rare condition, and now it turns out I'm a carrier of that disease, so I don't really have a choice. (We were unexpectedly pregnant without knowing my carrier status results.) We'll get the CVS results on May 27th. In the meantime, these are very anxious days and weeks. I'm incredibly scared of the CVS test and the results. What if it turns out this baby also has the condition?? Then we'd have to make another choice; I can't and don't dare to enjoy this pregnancy until we have certainty. But we truly hope that fate will be kind to us this time.

    Best wishes
  9. Marianne #10

    I took the combined screening test even though I wasn't advised to do so at the time due to my age. I just wanted to know. The result was 1 in 2000, so I didn't have to decide about a CVS or amniocentesis afterward.
  10. Blond #11

    Tonight we’re having the nuchal translucency scan. We’ll only make a decision if we get a high-risk result.
  11. Jolarie #12

    With my first child, I was 23 years old, and now I’m just 8 weeks pregnant with our second child and 29 years old. I consciously chose not to have any tests done because I don’t think I’d ever be able to make a decision if the results were negative. Besides that, I want to enjoy this pregnancy, which seems really difficult if you choose to get tested...

Add your reply

Share what helped you, or ask a question.

Sign in to join the conversation.

Continue with Google

Takes a moment. You’ll come straight back here to reply.